Beef and Asparagus Pasta
Total Recipe Time: 30 MINUTES
Makes 4 servings
- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 3 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots (about 2 large)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
Cook pasta in salted boiling water 10 minutes or until almost tender. Add asparagus; continue cooking 3 to 4 minutes or until pasta and asparagus are tender. Drain well.
Meanwhile, heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon; pour off drippings.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Heat oil in same skillet over medium heat until hot. Add shallots and garlic; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Add beef; toss to mix. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Combine beef mixture with pasta and asparagus in large bowl; toss well. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired.
@ 2017 Cattlemen's Beef Board and National Cattlemen's Beef Association
FOR THE KIDS: ENGLISH MUFFIN
Total Recipe Time: 30 minutes
Makes 6 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds Ground Beef (95% lean)
- 2 cups pasta sauce (any variety)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 T plus 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 English muffins, split, toasted
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into small crumbles, stirring occasionally. Add pasta sauce, onion, bell pepper, Italian seasoning and salt; continue cooking 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Top each muffin half evenly with beef mixture and cheeses. Bake at 400°F 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese is melted.
© 2017 Cattlemen's Beef Board and National Cattlemen's Beef Association
Total Recipe Time: 3-3/2 HOURS
Makes 6 servings
- 1 beef Shoulder Roast Boneless (2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
- 2 medium chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers, divided
- 12 small corn or flour tortillas (6-inch diameter), warmed
- 2 cups coleslaw
Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings; season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Add beer, peppers and 2 tablespoons adobo sauce to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours or until pot roast is fork-tender.
Meanwhile, combine coleslaw and remaining 1 teaspoon adobo sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking liquid; bring to boil. Reduce to medium and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until reduced to 1-1/2 cups. Meanwhile, trim and discard excess fat from cooked roast. Shred roast with 2 forks. Return beef to reserved liquid; cook over medium heat until heated through.
Serve beef in tortillas; top with coleslaw mixture and toppings, as desired.
© 2017 Washington State Beef Commission